I haven't lived in Cleveland Heights for nearly 20 years, but I still miss this dish. So I decided to try to recreate it tonight.
Start with a pizza-like dough recipe -- I used this one from Dede's Mediterannean blog, which was great but could have used a longer second rising than I had time for. While the dough is rising the first time (and the second time, after dividing into 8 portions) make the filling.
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 5 oz baby greens
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbs butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 slightly green banana
- 1 tsp tahini
- Saute the mushrooms and onions in the butter until the mushrooms start to express their juices
- Add the greens, stir and put a lid on and steam for 5-8 minutes.
- Put the mixture into a colander to cool and drain.
- When it has drained, put the mixture into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.
I baked the pies at 400 F for 8 minutes, brushed with olive oil, then baked for another 10 minutes.
I will definitely do this again! I think the kids would even love them without the cayenne pepper.