Sunday, July 30, 2006

What to do with tomato pulp

Hub decided he absolutely needed gazpacho tonight. I was very lazy and kiddo wanted to play with me, so he manfully followed a recipe (sort of) and ended up with a bowl full of leftover tomato pulp/seeds/skins and also more garlic than the recipe called for. It called for 4 cloves, he chopped 9, he's that kind of guy. He tossed the extra garlic into the pulp and said "hey, we can make pan con tomate". True, but we didn't have any fresh bread. We were drinking the gazpacho with ice, sort of virgin mary-ish, and were still wondering about dinner. So, I heated up the pulp, threw some frozen whole-wheat raviolis in a pot, chopped some parsley and grated some fresh parmesan.

It was fantastic. The gods were smiling, that was a really excellent tomato sauce. And no tomato wastage!

2 comments:

Jen said...

You know, you really are an artist. I would have tossed the tomato. Or wept in despair.

That kind of confidence in the kitchen is just admirable.

art2mis said...

I guess if I can encourage that kind of confidence in others, that's probably the point of the blog. I mean, heck, if it sucks? Toss it in the bin.