Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Fig-Stuffed Pork Loin Roast

Today was a good day. I slept last night (having given in to the realization that Benadryl is simply necessary right now). I resigned my current job yesterday, and signed a contract for a very exciting new project. I had no contact with any of the excessively dramatis personae of my life today. I walked with Hub, played with Kiddo, started transferring my work.

And I cooked something really, really satisfying. In November, I won't be able to start a roast at 5:30, because I'll be in an office again. That will certainly be a change, one I'm more than ready for, as working from home has become lonely. Roasts will be weekend food again. Still, this one didn't take much time at all...

1 ¼ lb boneless pork loin roast
4 figs, sliced
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 t kosher salt (Is it common knowledge that a small t is a teaspoon, and a large T is a Tablespoon? I learned that a long time ago when getting my cooking badge for Girl Scouts, but does everyone know it?)
½ t fresh ground pepper
1 T olive oil
1 cup water

  1. Preheat the oven to 450°
  2. In a small bowl, combine the sliced figs, 3 Tablespoons of the chopped parsley, the olive oil, the salt and pepper
  3. Using a long, thin knife (like a slicing knife), pierce the roast lengthwise, running the knife down close to the hilt but making sure you don't get too near the outside circumference.
  4. Do it again, making an X lengthwise down the roast.
  5. Stuff the cavity with the fig/parsley mixture.
  6. Roll the roast in the rest of the parsley, then put in a roasting pan. Top with any remaining parsley.
  7. Add 1 cup water to the pan
  8. Roast for 15 minutes
  9. Reduce heat to 350°, roast for 40 minutes more or until a meat thermometer reads 150°.
  10. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
I served this with fried polenta (purchased, sliced, then fried in olive oil) and turnips and greens (frozen), so it was very easy. Kiddo opted for chicken nuggets, but that's not unusual. Really, they are just a ketchup delivery system. He did try a little polenta. Maybe if I let him put ketchup on everything, he'd eat more of my food?

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love figs. Going to have to try this. And you, my dear, are going to have to turn this into a recipe book.

That is very exciting about your new job!!!!