Monday, June 11, 2007

Bagna Cauda and Raw Vegetables

Sorry it has been so long. I've been slammed at work, had some surgery, had strep throat due to the bugs in the hospital (I'm convinced), had a follow-on terrible cold for the same reason, went to Oakland for an excellent business meeting week where I had dinner with my Aunt at tha amazing Chez Panisse in Berkeley and basically have just recently come up for air.

I made this tonight for Hub and I based on the fantastic appetizer I had at Chez Panisse. Also based on the fact that we are getting so many fabulous vegetables from our farm share, and I'm loving coming up with ways to enjoy them. Not really low-fat, but everything in this is GOOD FOR YOU! and it tastes truly amazing.

I adapted the Bagna Cauda from a recipe in Susan Schneider's _A New Way To Cook_, which is a previously mentioned incredibly good cookbook...when I had the Bagna Cauda at Chez Panisse, I immediately remembered this recipe and figured it would be similar. It was honestly a near-perfect match. I wonder if Alice Waters has been reading Sally Schneider?

POINTS® Value: 10
Servings: 6 for a light meal, probably 12 for an appetizer

Ingredients
1 cup Filippo Berio Extra virgin olive oil
4 clove garlic clove(s)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 oz anchovies canned in oil, drained
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup fat-free chicken broth or vegetable broth to make it truly vegetarian
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup parsley
3 oz baby carrots
1 medium zucchini
2 medium yellow summer squash
4 small turnip(s)
1 cup green snap beans

Instructions

Slice the turnips (peeled), squash and zucchini very, very thinly and toss in a large bowl.
Peel and top the baby carrots and snip the ends off the green beans and add to the bowl, toss.
Mince the garlic, chop the anchovies.
Heat the oil, garlic and red pepper flakes over low heat until the garlic is very soft, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the chopped anchovies and oregano and cook for 1 minutes longer.
Add the broth, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
Boil for 30 seconds, or until the sauce is emulsified.
Stir in the lemon juice and parsley, then pour over the vegetables.
Serve with focaccia bread for sopping.

No comments: