Sunday, September 03, 2006

Quesadillas

We just got back from Ms. T's very, very relaxing pool party. The day was hot, the pool was cold, the kids splashed and played, and the parents drank pomegranite/blueberry mimosas or beer. Ms. T supplied a couple of party platters of very nice cut sandwiches, and everyone else brought a dish -- my favorite was the tomato/basil salad Ms. T's sister-in-law brought. Simple, classic, delicious.

I didn't have much time after church to prepare anything fancy, so I threw together some quesadillas. I've been playing with quesadillas for a while now, and the trick seems to be to get the ingredients fairly dry. This is what I had in my fridge, so this is what went in today...

1 bag tortillas (6)
1/2 block monterey jack cheese, shredded
1/2 round queso fresca, shredded
8 quarters of marinated artichoke hearts, chopped and rolled in a paper towel to remove some moisture
2 handfuls salad greens, dried and chopped
1 big squeeze of cilantro in a tube (I would have used fresh if I had it)

  1. Heat a griddle
  2. Combine the grated cheeses in a bowl
  3. Combine the other fillings in another bowl
  4. On one tortilla, spread out a layer of cheese, a layer of filling, and a little more cheese on top
  5. Press another tortilla on top
  6. Spray lightly with oil
  7. Toast gently on the griddle until the cheese starts to melt, then spray the other side and flip it
  8. After you take them off the griddle, let rest for a few minutes before cutting into wedges.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'll have to try this-- we usually bake them, but there is nothing (NOTHING!) like a fried Quesadilla.


MMMMMMMmmmmm.