Thursday, November 16, 2006

Sherry-mushroom pork chops with Braised Red Cabbage

OK, another not-quite-right recipe, but it's definitely worth trying again...the leftovers were delicious, and the red-cabbage side dish was AMAZING. Easy, satiny, rich, completely stole the thunder from the entree. Sometimes, I really impress myself. :) In addition to these, I did some simple buttered noodles, which Kiddo ate like a dog. Literally, he just stuck his face into the bowl. Ideally, the dishes should all come out at the same time...

Cabbage:
- 3 slices country bacon
- 1 small head red cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 can butter beans, drained
  1. In a large dutch oven, cook the bacon at fairly high heat until crispy, remove to drain on paper towels
  2. Add the cabbage, lower heat to low and braise for 30 minutes
  3. About 5-10 minutes before completion, add the beans and the crumbled bacon.
Pork:
- 4 pork chops, boneless, fairly small, about one pound total weight
- 2 cups sliced "baby bella" mushrooms
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1 Tbspn chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbspn flour? (The problem I encountered was that the sauce was thin...flour would help. A roux would definitely help, but I don't really think any butter is needed in this recipe)
  1. Preheat oven to 400? (That was the other issue, it took too long...we started at 350 and raised the temp to 400 later on)
  2. Layer the pork chops in a small square baking pan
  3. Add the mushrooms
  4. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, then spread over the chops
  5. Cover with foil and put in the oven for 30 minutes?

3 comments:

Jen said...

I am making porkchops tomorrow, so maybe I'll try this! Have to get some cabbage though.

Jen said...

How did you come up with the recipe for the red cabbage?

I bet Thanksgiving dinner at your house is amazing. And I want to hear about it.

art2mis said...

Not sure, actually. I've done braised cabbage before, but I've never added the butter beans before. It was certainly a recipe for gas...but it was worth it! :)