Monday, May 26, 2008

Not Your Ordinary Potato Salad

We've spent a very enjoyable Memorial Day spring cleaning and cooking, and we're off to a party at the T's in the cul-de-sac behind us.  I wanted to make a potato salad, but with the edge of a remoulade sauce, but without any mayonnaise or cream, and also incorporating farm veggies.  Since it was for a picnic, I also wanted something that wouldn't go bad sitting out on a buffet.  Basically, a potato salad without all the elements of traditional potato salads.  This is what I came up with.  It's savory and colorful and creamy in a completely novel way (at least to me).

This makes a large amount, probably enough to serve about 12 people.

I know I put "vegetarian" on the label, and here I go putting anchovies in -- but all you'd need to do is replace the anchovies with salt, probably.  And many vegetarians will eat fish, so I guess it would work for them.

3 lb small (but not tiny) red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
1 head of broccoli, florets only
1/2 lb snow peas, with tips snapped off and stringed
2 boiled eggs, peeled and chopped finely
6 sweet gherkins, chopped finely
2 Tbs capers, drained and chopped finely
3 Tbs grainy dijon mustard
3 oz anchovy fillets, chopped finely
2 Tbs pimentos
1/2 lb creamy goat's-milk feta or chevre
2 Tbs champagne vinegar
  1. Cover the potatoes in cold water in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil and boil for about 20 minutes, just until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork (I tend to use my sense of smell to know when they are right).
  2. When the potatoes are ready, scoop them out and drain them in a colander.  Add the broccoli and snow peas to the boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes, just until bright green.  Drain.
  3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl put all the rest of the ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until well blended and creamy.  Let stand in the refrigerator until you're ready to mix it all up.  I kept on adding things and using a potato to taste-test.
  4. When the potatoes and vegetables are cool, toss them together with the sauce in a large bowl.

No comments: