Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Pasta with fresh tomato sauce

I have about a hundred permutations on this theme...so easy, so delicious. This is what I accompanied the lamb meatballs with tonight.

2 large tomatoes
1/3 lb feta cheese, preferably sheep's milk, also preferably in brine
1 zucchini
2 T mint
12 oz whole wheat or multi grain pasta

  1. Cook the pasta according to package directions
  2. Chop the tomatoes, put in a bowl, making sure you keep all the juices. At my house, that means guarding the cutting board from Hub, who is very likely to stick his face right down onto it and slurp.
  3. Chop the mint, add to the bowl
  4. Use a vegetable peeler on the zucchini to make "ribbons", keeping the peel but stopping when you hit seeds. Toss those into the bowl.
  5. Crumble the feta into the bowl
  6. Add a little salt and pepper to taste, and toss.
  7. When the pasta is done, take 2-3 ladlefulls of pasta water and add them to the bowl.
  8. Then drain the pasta and add it to the bowl, toss, and serve.

2 comments:

Jen said...

How did you learn to make your own sauce? With the pasta water and the seeds and all that? Did you always know how to do this and secretly cook like this and not invite me over?

You should come and visit me. I have a field of mint growing fresh in my front yard.

art2mis said...

I read a recipe for a fresh tomato sauce many moons ago (probably about 10 years ago?) and loved it, so I've riffed off of it ever since.

And no, I didn't always cook this way. It has been many, many years of being obsessed with cooking and reading lots and lots of magazines and cookbooks and trying lots of things...and then, a few years ago, just starting to make do with what was in the fridge and going "off-recipe" for the most part. It's a hobby, I guess.